Windows users may face some common issues while using it. They also may face different poblems while installing or upgrading windows operating system. Recently, Many peoples around the world have noticed an issue “Disk Controller: The current active partition is compressed“. In fact, This is not a major issue. You can easily resolve it.
Normally, You can’t install windows when you have an active compressed partition. If you try it, You will get error. You may get two different error messages which depend on situations.
During installation of windows, You may see following message –
Windows can’t be installed because This PC uses a compressed operating system.
When you try to upgrade or install, Installation wizard or upgrade assistant may show you following message –
Disk Controller: The current active partition is compressed
How to Fix The Current Active Partition is Compressed While Installing Windows
Actually, This is very easy to fix. You can just uncompress your active partition. There are also other methods that may work. Here, I’m explaining how you can fix the current active partition is compressed.
Uncompress System Reserved Drive:
Windows 10 may use a small portion of your hard disk or SSD as system reserved drive. It is actually the active partition. Sometimes, It may not have a dedicated system reserved drive. It may use your primary partition as active partition. In fact, This partition contains all necessary stuffs to boot and run windows. To get rid of the problem we are discussing, You will have to uncompress this partition. Before that, You will have to find out which is your active partition. Here are the full instructions.
- At first, Press Win + R to open RUN.
- Now, Type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- It will open Windows Disk Management tool in new window. From there, You can see your system reserved drive. Put your mouse cursor on it. You will see, if it is the active partition or not.
- If it is your active partition, Just right click on it and choose “Change drive letter or paths”.
- Then, Click on add and assign it a letter.
- Now, Go to This PC / Computer / My Computer.
- Right click on the newly visible partition and choose properties.
- Uncheck “Compress this drive to save disk space” and click on Apply and OK.
- I hope, It will fix Disk Controller: The current active partition is compressed.
Note: If you have no system reserved drive, Your system partition should be the active partition. In that case, You will have to uncompress it (Typically Local Disk C).
Uncompress System Drive to Fix Windows Can’t Be Installed Because This PC Uses a Compressed Operating System
Normally, Local disk C is where we install windows or any OS. It is considered as system partition. You may face similar problems, If it is compressed. So, Uncompress it like before. In this case, You won’t need to assign letter from disk management as it is normally visible in this PC.
Change Active Partition:
In fact, First two methods are enough to fix the current active partition is compressed. In case, These don’t work, You can change your active partition and try to install or upgrade windows. You will be successful as it won’t show you active partition is compressed error message.
- At first, Open disk management like before.
- Right click on local disk C and choose Mark Partition as Active.
Run chkdsk Command:
You also can try this. Just open Command Prompt as administrator. If you are on Windows 10 or 8, Right click on start and choose Command Prompt (Admin). Then Run the following command.
chkdsk.exe /f /r
Install or Upgrade Manually to Fix The Current Active Partition is Compressed:
If you really need to install or upgrade windows, I would like to suggest these things.
- At first, Perform clean boot.
- Then, Download Media Creation Tool.
- Now, Right click on media creation tool and choose Run as administrator.
- Then, Accept license and choose Upgrade this PC. Click on Next.
- If it doesn’t work, You can Download Windows ISO file and then create bootable USB or DVD.
- Then, Try to install it from boot menu. But don’t forget to format system reserved drive during installation. I recommend you to do clean installation.
Note: Before doing clean installation, You can backup windows image.
I hope, Above methods will “fix the current active partition is compressed”. You can add any additional ideas that may resolve this issue in comment box.
Thank you have visited this post, I wish this post which discuss about Fix Disk Controller: The Current Active Partition is Compressed can be useful for you.