Like any other blue screen of death errors VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE can be a bigger issue for you. Sometimes, It may completely prevent you from accessing your PC. Basically, It occurs in windows 10 more than other versions. Specially, After anniversary update or upgrading from previous windows, This problem can make your life hell. So, You should know the ways to fix it. Like other similar problems it is also a result of over heating or incompatible driver or any hardware fault. So, When we will do something to troubleshoot, We will focus on these things. But, Before that, We should know more about it.
Reasons Behind VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and Symptoms:
Unlike other blue screen error, It is not too hard to guess what is causing this problem. Most of the times, Issues in Video Driver causes it. That’s why peoples also see any of these driver name atikmpag.sys, nvlddmkm.sys, igdkmd64.sys etc. along with this name “video tdr failure“. Those .sys file indicates different video cards like NVIDIA, AMD etc. This error also may come with some stop error code similar to this: 0x00000119, 0x117, 0x116 etc. Anyway, These are the common reasons behind this BSOD.
- Problematic graphics card.
- Out dated or incompatible graphics card driver.
- Over heating CPU.
Normally, This problem comes when you try to play any game or watch any video or do anything else. But, For a few users, It can totally be a nightmare. It can prevent them from accessing their PC as it appears before completely startup your PC. It may shows collecting information. When it completed 100%, It restarts automatically. For some users, It can be happened repeatedly. As a result, They experience restart loop problem.
How to Fix Video_TDR_Failure BSOD:
Before starting troubleshooting procedures, You should know that you will have to do it in safe mode, If you can’t access windows properly. Here, I’ve explained some ways to boot into safe mode. If you need internet, Please boot into safe mode with networking. Also, Please make sure, Your PC is up to date and you are using latest build of your windows version.
Method 1: Update All Drivers Including Video Drive
As video TDR failure error is basically caused by video driver problems, Your first method should be updating video driver. But, I also recommend you to update other drivers. Here are instructions.
- First of all, Open RUN. You can press Win + R from keyboard to open it.
- Now, Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Then, Find and expend Display Adapter.
- There you should see your graphics card driver like AMD Radeon / Nvidia and Intel HD graphics etc. Just right click on it, and choose Update driver software.
- Then, Choose Search automatically for driver software and follow on screen instructions.
By this way, You can update all other drivers. But, Make sure you are connected to good internet connection.
Method 2: Re-Install Video Driver to Fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
For some users, Reinstalling video driver works surprisingly. To do it, Follow these things.
- Open Device Manager and expend Display Adpater as before.
- Now, Right click on video driver and choose Uninstall.
- Then, Restart your PC.
- Again, Open device manager and click on Action from the navigation menu.
- Choose Scan for Hardware Changes.
- It may install the driver again automatically. If not you should see any driver name with yellow explanation sign. Just try to update it.
If it doesn’t work as your expectation, Just uninstall the whole graphics card software from control panel and install it again by latest versions. You can visit: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx for NVIDIA and http://support.amd.com/en-us/download for AMD graphics card software download.
Note: You also can reinstall / update Intel HD Graphics to get rid of video tdr failure.
Method 3: Find and Fix, If any Other Services Create Conflicts with Video Driver:
Sometimes, Only video driver may not be the culprit. There may be any other third-party services that create conflicts with your graphics card driver and its result is blue screen of death. It is easy to find out the corrupted services. You can read this article to get detailed instructions.
Method 4: Fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE Atikmpag.sys AMD Users
This is exclusively for AMD Radeon users. Here are the detailed procedures.
- At first go to C > Windows > System32.
- Find atikmpag.sys and rename it as atikmpag.sys.bak.
- Now, If you already have installed latest version of AMD graphics card driver software in your PC, You should see a folder called ATI in local disk C. Just, Go to C > ATI.
- Find atikmpag.sy_ and copy it to desktop.
- Press Win + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type chdir desktop and hit Enter.
- Then, Type the following commands and hit enter for each.
expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys
- Now, You should see a new atikmdag.sys file in desktop. Just copy it to C > System32.
- Restart you PC.
- It should fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE.
Method 5: Tweaking PCI Express Power Management Settings
To laptop users, My suggestion is “Leave your power settings to high performance”. Sometimes, Low power in CPU and graphics card can cause any types of problems. If you don’t want to leave power settings to high performance but want to disable power saving for PCI express, You can follow these instructions.
- At first, Navigate to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
- Here, You will have the options to change settings to high performance. But, You can also tweak PCI express power settings.
- Click on Change plan settings next to the power plan you are currently using.
- Now, Click on Change advanced power settings.
- Now, Find PCI Express and expend it. Then expend Link state power management.
- Change the settings to off for plugged in and on battery option.
- Apply and OK.
- Restart your PC.
If you are lucky, This one can fix video TDR failure BSOD.
Method 6: Clean Cooler Fan of Graphics Card and Processor and Clean RAM Stick
For some users, Cleaning these components fix blue screen of death surprisingly. So, I’m suggesting you to do it too. But, Be careful. Clean them properly. If you have any doubt, Your problem is also related to your RAM which may be corrupted, You can read this article to fix RAM problems.
These are some suggestions to fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. But, I’m not giving you guarantee that these will work. I can only say, These can work. If you don’t find anything helpful, You can upload your minidump file to onedrive and share the link in microsoft answer forum with your problem details.
Thank you have visited this post, I wish this post which discuss about How to Fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE in Windows 10 /8 /7 can be useful for you.