Xbox Insiders in the Alpha Preview ring are getting a new Xbox One update packed with various features to explore.
Last month, Microsoft unveiled an in-progress version of the next Xbox One update, delivering a sneak peek at changes coming to the operating system this fall. While a key focus of the update was the early stages of a user interface overhaul based on the Fluent Design System, some significant tweaks to the Home screen, Xbox guide, and Community tab were also debuted.
After receiving feedback from Xbox Insiders, the second major build is now on its way to those in the Alpha Preview ring. Although new functionality is being introduced with this update, alterations are also being made to existing features across the Xbox operating system (OS).
As previously announced earlier this week, both Arabic and Hebrew language support are being added to the OS, ahead of a public rollout later this year. As languages both widely spoken across the world, their inclusion builds on Microsoft’s drive for inclusivity outside of its core markets. The addition of these is especially notable, as the first displayed right-to-left on the console.
Changes are being made to the Home menu, in response to the somewhat mixed reception of the current revision. The “Pins” block on the Home menu can now display up to 40 pinned items – over double the number allowed prior to the update. Some welcome tweaks are also being made to content displayed via the two “discovery tiles,” seen horizontally through the middle of the Home menu.
Furthermore, avid live streamers are in for a treat with the new update, with support for 1080p uploads via Mixer. With its addition, live streaming quality will be automatically determined by bandwidth, without any surplus settings to configure to stream at full HD. Modifications have also been made to the Broadcast tab, with more information tailored to your Mixer account.
New functionality is also rolling out across the Guide menu, in an attempt to streamline both Party chat and broadcasting. When either of these tasks is taking place, the Guide menu will automatically serve up small widgets, for quick access to basic options.
Alongside the new features, the full changelog also details some minor bug fixes and known issues across the board. Although there appear to be no major issues detrimental to the console, some bugs may affect app usage and video playback. For full details on the update, read on below.
OS version released: rs3_release_xbox_dev_1710.170828-1900
Available: 6:00PM PDT 8/30 (1:00AM GMT 31/8)
- Right-to-left language support for Arabic and Hebrew, which means you can now change your console language to select right-to-left languages in the Xbox settings menu. Arabic and Hebrew language support will be enabled for Preview Alpha 8/31 @ 1:00 AM PDT. Note there is a known issue which affects the sign-in screen when signing in with a Microsoft account e-mail address (see KNOWN ISSUES below for details).
- The Pin block on Home, as well as the pins flyout in the new Guide now support 40 pins.
The two discovery slots next to the resume tile show more relevant content, have clearer descriptions, visual improvements and we’ve given you the ability to influence what is being presented via the upvote/downvote in the context menu.
It’s easier to see your custom background images on Home.
- The Broadcast tab in the guide is redesigned and includes more info about your Mixer account including Level, Sparks, Total Views, Mixer channel pic, and more. Mixer broadcasters can now broadcast at up to 1080p. No need to change anything in settings, when you start the broadcast we automatically check your bandwidth to optimize quality.
Active parties and broadcasting sessions are now easier to manage than ever. Similar to background audio, active party and broadcast management now show up on the Guide landing page for quicker and easier access.
Tournaments are now easier to find via Guide under the Multiplayer tab.
- Going to the Game Hub for your favorite games now takes you to the new Game Hub Welcome tab. The Welcome tab features a summary of all the great content around the game in one page. See what achievements you’re closest to, which friends are playing, popular community content and more.
- Navigation is clearer with new visual updates that include showing you a peek at what’s below Home, making the focus rectangle more visible in the Guide, and more.
- Fixed an issue which caused Home customizations to disappear after a console reboot.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes caused a console crash when adding or removing content blocks.
- Numerous small fixes and performance improvements for Home and the dashboard.
Games & Apps
- Fixed issues which sometimes prevented games and apps from launching.
- Fixed an issue which sometimes prevented games and apps from transferring between hard drives.
- When using Arabic or Hebrew language and signing in with a profile using the “Lock it down” security preference, the sign-in screen which requests Microsoft account e-mail address and password is distorted. This does not affect the profile if it is set to use the “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers” security preferences. Workaround: Set the console to use another language, sign-in, and set the profile’s security preference to “Ask for my passkey” or “No barriers”. Alternatively, you can still type in your password as normal using the virtual keyboard though the screen is distorted.
- When using Hebrew language, Netflix fails to launch.
Movies & TV
- Fast forward, rewind, and other media controls may not function.
4K UHD Playback
- When playing 4K or UHD content, you may encounter periodic crashes or black screens. This occurs with multiple apps which support 4K and UHD content including Movies & TV and VUDU.
Minecraft Better Together Beta
- Other games fail to launch after launching the Minecraft Beta. Workaround: This occurs if the Minecraft Beta is the first game launched after powering on the console; launch another game before Minecraft to avoid this issue. If you are stuck in this state, hard reset your console.
- 3D Blu-Ray content plays in 2D.
- Game Hub isn’t accurately tracking Gamerscore and achievement unlocks for certain games.
- Users in Xbox Insider Alpha group that do not already have the Pins block added to Home, will need to add via the bottom of the Pins flyout in the Guide.
Thank you very much for your visit on this webpage New Xbox One update delivers Home improvements, new languages, 1080p Mixer streaming and more.